Tuesday, November 1, 2016

New Month, New Update, New News


Happy November! It is the start of a new month, so that means it’s time for a new blog post (and picture.)
The last couple of weeks have been interesting learning how to eat again. As a food lover, I NEVER thought I would say I had to “learn” how to eat again, but I have. It’s weird, quite honestly. Some days it’s easier than others, but now, I just have to remind myself to plan ahead. So while preparing lunches and helping Tom prepare the kids for the day ahead (while also trying to juggle laundry that won’t end, figuring out who is getting whom to the next sports practice or game, and reviewing with the kids for the day’s tests--figuratively and literally), I also have to think about what I’m going to have for lunch. I am trying to always have something on hand to take with me so I don’t have to rely on a spur of the moment choice --which doesn’t always end well. (As a side note, I can’t really eat that much anymore, and I have found some delicious Lean Cuisine frozen meals—my favorite is the White Vermont Cheddar Mac and Cheese.) It’s just cheesy enough and hits the spot; of course, it takes me 30 minutes to eat the entire thing if I don’t give up!

Anyway, eating out has been interesting and everyone is always so nice and accommodating about it (which makes me a tad uncomfortable, but it is appreciated.) I have ventured to a few places, and some have been a strange experience for me. Sunday evening, I ventured out with Tom and Zane and we decided to go to Moe’s (cue the happy greeting when you walk in the door: Welcome to Moe’s!!!!!) I was excited about getting a taco salad (I haven’t been able to eat salad and I have missed it.) Well, I took about 4 bites and couldn’t eat anymore. In fact, I just felt sick. I think I may have eaten it too fast or something, but it wasn’t enjoyable at all. (And typically, I love a Moe’s Taco Salad with chicken.) I had about 3 chips before I ate the salad and I guess I filled up on those. Lesson learned, but I just hate spending money on food and not being able to take it home (kinda hard to take home a salad and eat it later.)

Halloween: So yesterday was Halloween and if you know me even remotely well, you know I’m not a big holiday person -- except for Thanksgiving -- I LOVE Thanksgiving. Well, having kids sometimes (okay, A LOT of times) requires that you do stuff you don’t particularly like (I’m takling to you, television shows like Teen Titans Go! and pretty much everything on Nickelodeon.) In my case, it is decorating for Halloween, dressing up and then going trick or treating. I didn’t like trick or treating when I was a kid. Not. At. All. But being a mom means I like to see my kids smile and be happy (and sacrifice dammit!) And my kids like it when I dress up for Halloween. (Even Tripp, though he may not say it, but he’s 11, so you know, he’s practically a teenager already.) This year, I decided to be a “Mombie” aka Mommy Zombie. (pretty much what I feel like when I wake up in the morning.) So, I put on a bath robe, donned some of Zane’s zombie makeup (he was a Zombie Football player) and ta da!!! Halloween. (for the record, Tripp is Domingo Ayala, a You Tube sensation among the athletic-type youth of today-- basically, he does You Tube videos about baseball, talks in a Dominican accent and the kids love him.)
 
One of Zane’s friends was having a little hayride and party, so I took him. And was suddenly transported to that scene in the original Bridget Jones’ Diary where she shows up to the party in full out Playboy bunny costume and only to be... you guessed it.. the only parent dressed up. (Now that I think about it, Zombie Playboy bunny would have been a great costume, but I digress.) Awkward….

Sigh… but at least my kid liked it and he was happy. A good time was had by all, and both kids got a bunch of candy. Speaking of candy, I only had one piece of Halloween candy. Yes, I’m proud of that. I’m wearing that like a badge of honor. (Please note, there is no shame in eating more than one piece of Halloween candy and that is how I have spent the previous 40 years on October 31.)

New adventure: About two years ago, I made a big decision in terms of my career. I decided to leave Hilton Worldwide after 12 years and venture into the world of healthcare communications and marketing. I've learned a lot, met some great people, but recently a new opportunity came my way and I’ve decided to take it. As of November 14, I will be joining Memphis-based EdR as the Vice President of Corporate Communications and Marketing. EdR is a fantastic company that is truly changing the college experience for the bright minds of today. They are one of the leading developers of collegiate housing throughout the U.S. and manage a lot of beds at these colleges. Trust me, these housing complexes don't look anything like they did when I went to school.  It’s an awesome opportunity for me to get back into the real estate development world (this work is VERY similar to what I did at Hilton) and I’m very excited about it. So, more BIG changes for me and my family. (Look at you, 2016, you’ve been an interesting year for me.)

And finally, an update: As of mid-July, I have lost 58.4 pounds. Since surgery on August 23, I have lost 43 pounds. I am truly astonished! But it’s not just about the pounds lost. I feel better. I sleep better. I have more energy. I think I’m even a more pleasant and giving person. (oh hell, who am I kidding?  I’m still cold and dead inside.) Seriously, I’m making exercise a priority and trying to get it in as much as possible. I know it is something I have to do. I’m trying to go to barre once a week and vary my exercise the other days.) And yes, barre class still hurts, but the “Barre-bies” are just so nice!
 

November 1, 2016
 
 

 

1 comment: