Friday, August 26, 2016

It Always Comes in Threes...


Here I am about 8 hours after surgery. 

It's day 4, post-surgery, and I'm feeling pretty good. I've certainly learned a lot over the last few days, mainly that my husband is the badass in my family and I'm not sure what I would do without him. He had a very trying day yesterday, so I want to give mad props to him for keeping it  -- and this family -- together. He is amazing.

They say it comes in threes, so here's hoping, we are done after last night. Allow me to recap.

1. The first is just normal post-surgery stuff. I was discharged late Wednesday night and boy, was I ready to get home. I didn't sleep well the nigh before in the hospital, I had to sit up all day in the chair and walk (I did that right after my surgery also) so I was ready to get in my own bed. Finally rolled into bed about 7 and went to sleep at 8:30 p.m. And boy, what a great sleep it was. I was very sore when I woke up Thursday morning, but very happy to see my own bedroom when I opened my eyes.

2. But then I heard something. At first, I thought it was me hearing things from the pain meds I had taken. It was a dripping noise. Then I thought it was something one of the boys was doing-one of them always has a ball, bottle or something they are pitching, flipping, juggling.
I walked out into the kitchen to a good portion of our kitchen ceiling on the floor due to a water heater leak directly upstairs. Water was everywhere.

Tripp sprang into action and go some buckets to catch the leak, and I went about my business and helped the kids navigate the wet kitchen for breakfast. Tom sprang into action and called the contractor to get it cleaned up as immediately as possible.

During all of this chaos, I tried to take my medicine for the first time. At the hospital, they do something so lovely and just put it in your iv. But now I'm home, and I'm on my own. As a gastric sleeve patient, it is important to remember that your stomach (or pouch as they call it) is only five ounces. So, you can't gulp or even take really big drinks, especially on day three. I have several meds to take each day-- synthroid, old school anti-anxiety Prozac and something to help with the stomach acid. If it is a pill, it has to be very small, or you can crush it or cut it up. I cut it up, but apparently not enough. After about 2 minutes of taking my meds, I threw up. Damn, it hurt.

I went back to bed for a couple of hours while my badass husband took care of everything in the house, including taking the kids to school, and at 9 a.m., he woke me up. It was time to rise and shine and sit up, do some walking and get down my 5 ounces every hour. (That doesn't seem hard, but it is VERY hard to do.) Since the plumber was there and we didn't have any hot water, he took me to my mom's to recuperate and take a shower. It was, possibly, one of the best showers I've ever had.

I walked, watched some Netflix, took a snooze and felt tons better.

3. It was a very busy night for Tripp and Zane last night with football, so we had some arranging to do. Tom also had to go to parents meeting at school for Tripp. He picked up Tripp, dropped off Zane and brought Tripp home to do homework. On his way back to Briarcrest to watch Zane in his first football scrimmage, he was in a little fender bender. Thankfully, no one was injured and the vehicles were drivable. But boy, what an end to a day!

 
Tom's truck is the one on the left.
 
 
Thankfully, everyone is fine and these are true #firstworldproblems if I've ever seen them. But still annoying nonetheless. And there is never a perfect time, but maybe it could have been a little better timed!?!
 
As I write this now, I have plumbers installing a new water heater and the sheetrock guys are fixing my kitchen. I'm working at getting down my 5 ounces each hour. I'm a bit sore in my stomach (I have 5 small incisions) and frankly, I have gas from them inserting the air into my stomach during the procedure. But everything is just fine.
 
It's so weird because I'm not hungry at all. I haven't had a bit of solid food since Sunday evening and I'm not hungry. I'm also trying not to freak out that my stomach is gone! (Holy crap!!!!) Well, I still have 5 ounces of it left, but it's so weird to think about. I'm still on liquids, and today I ventured and had 5 ounces of a protein shake. It was delicious.
 
I truly am blessed to have such a wonderful support system. So many people have reached out to me and I promise you, I can feel the prayers and good vibes coming my way. My family has been well fed, thanks to some great friends, and the calls and text messages are so appreciated. My team at work sent my beautiful flowers yesterday and they really brightened my day.
 
Please continue to send those prayers and vibes Tom's way. This has been a tough week for him and yesterday he proved his badassery (is that a word?) 


2 comments:

  1. The funny thing is that to this day I have not had one incident of actual physical stomach rumbling hunger. It has all been head hunger. You how they used to say it takes a special kind of stupid about certain things? I used to think (pre-surgery) that it took a certain kind of stupid to forget to eat. ;) But even this many years later, I still have to make myself eat most days. You are doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete