Monday, August 22, 2016

Prep Day. All Systems Go!


And the award for best (legitimate) use of the poop emoji goes to.... Dawn Ray! 

That's right, folks, I am in the prep stage of my gastric sleeve surgery and that means a liquid diet full of broth, water, juice and a little yumminess called magnesium citrate to cleanse my colon. (hence the poop emoji.) 

This morning I went to the doctor to weigh in for surgery (like a boxing or a UFC fight, but with no paparazzi) and I was down 15 pounds! When my surgery was scheduled nearly 6 weeks ago, I was told I had to lose 12 pounds. So I got started right away. Cut out alcohol (mostly, I've had only 4 glasses of wine in that time) and began eating the way I should be. And I did it! I lost the 15 pounds. Truthfully, I could have lost a bit more but I was terrified I would lose too much and then the doctor wouldn't do the surgery. And I've already committed to doing this and gone through all of the emotions, so I didn't want that to happen. 

This weekend I tried to go about things as usual and prepare to be in the hospital and Tom asked me what I wanted my "last meal" to be. (Gotta say, it did feel like prison a bit.) So last night, my family and I went to Five Guys and I enjoyed a burger, fries and a diet coke. It was good, but it didn't taste as good as I wanted it to. The only thing I can guess is that it tasted the same, but my mind was stronger than the taste and I'm finally prepared for this surgery. Prepared to drink broth and liquid for 2 weeks and then pureed and soft foods. Prepared to give up diet coke. Prepared to limit my alcohol intake. And then when I can eat foods again, I will just eat smaller portions. I've got this! 

I sat there while Tom explained to the boys why I was doing this and they both understood. Tripp's answer was understanding that mom wanted to be healthy (and not just skinny, but healthier.)  Zane understood that Mom wants to be around a long time like Mama Sue and help take care of my grandkids one day. They were very mature and understanding about it. And supportive. I was touched and maybe cried a little. (but just maybe.) I'm fortunate and blessed to have such supportive loved ones in my life. The support from my friends and coworkers has been amazing. I'm ready to get this show on the road! 



No comments:

Post a Comment