Monday, September 5, 2016

(Nearly) Two Week Update: Keeping Busy Just Watching People Eat

It's been a busy Labor Day weekend for the Ray Family, but I've made it pretty well. I have to say I've gotten a lot of sleep at night in order to keep up, but I've done it. I don't seem to have too much stamina right now, but I am sure that comes back. (Everyone I've talked to who has had this done says it does, so I have faith.)

On Friday night, we went to the Briarcrest football game. Tripp's in the 5th grade now and "everybody is there, Mom" so we went. God forbid we mess up our kids' social lives. I really don't mind it all that much, but it is a different experience for me. I grew up in a small town -- shout out to Halls, TN! -- and Friday nights were all about going to the high school game. Social event of the week! When I was in junior high (no, not middle school) I was a cheerleader and the HJH cheerleaders sold game programs. Still, social event of the week. Then, from 9-12 grade, I was a cheerleader on the sidelines, so I've never watched much football from the stands. (Well, I now watch Tripp and Zane when they play, but never just watched a high school football game as a fan.) It's a bit awkward and honestly, makes me feel like I'm trying to figure out my social status. You have to time when you get there -- can't get there too early, then you look too eager to fit in. Can't get there late because the kids will have a coronary about being late and "missing everyone!!" So you have to time it just right. Then, it is time to move up into the stands. OH MY GOD, the pressure. Seriously. It's such a weird feeling standing at the bottom of the bleachers looking up trying to spot someone you know -- that actually has room by them for you. It's nerve-wracking. Honestly, it also feels a little bit like Mean Girls. No one makes me feel this way per se, but I have a slight panic attack thinking "am I cool enough to sit there?" It's a lot of pressure. But of course, all of that pressure subsided when I saw several other folks I knew and sat with them. (Truth be told, I saw A LOT of people I knew.) The weather was beautiful, the Saints won and my kids' social lives were still in tact. Whew!

Saturday, Tom and the boys joined me on a walk. We started at Cameron Brown Park and then walked part of the Germantown Greenline along Wolf River. It was a nice hour-long walk without cell phones or television or bottle flipping. Yes, I said bottle flipping. It seems the kids these days love to flip bottles and try to land them in various ways. So I now know what I'm getting Tripp for Christmas... I'm going to spend $4 for a case of water at Kroger. Beats the heck out of the Playstation I was gonna get.

Saturday night, we went to the Memphis Tigers home opener with some other families. And while I made it just fine, let me just tell you that tailgating while on phase 1 of the gastric sleeve diet sucks. I mean it sucks. I wasn't hungry, but just watching everyone eat tailgate food- chicken fingers, chips and dips- sucked. But I made it. All in all, it was a good night. Kids had fun, adults had fun (who knew you could go to a tailgate and a football game and not have alcohol to drink?), and the Tigers won!!

The game just about wore me out -- well, maybe it was the hundreds of stairs I had to climb because I bought the Kroger $5 tickets -- so I slept late on Sunday. It was delightful. Then I decided to go to Tripp's baseball practice to watch a bit and walk with another mom. I have been walking everyday and it was nice to have some company.

Today, we went to a cookout with some of Tripp's baseball team. This family has four boys (God love them, they are busy and so nice and fun!) and they have an awesome pool. I just sat out by the fan and talked and watched all of the boys have fun. Then it was time to eat. Yep, you guessed it, that part kinda sucked. So I drank my iced tea. Again, I wasn't hungry, but it was just weird not eating when everyone else was. Oh well, I made it and everyone had a great time.

I went for a walk when I got home -- didn't want to skip a day -- and then cooked dinner for my mom and family. Cooking dinner is weird because I can't taste anything. I hope it tasted good!

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my official weigh-in for surgery. I am happy to report that I am down 20 pounds!! WOOT WOOT!!!!  I go back for my official two-week visit on Thursday (though that will actually be 16 days) and he should release me to go back to work next Tuesday. But the best part is, I get to move on to phase 2 of my diet - yogurt, oatmeal and other pureed foods. It will be a red letter day on the calendar, as my friend Toni Z. says!

Food and the act of eating is a very social thing. And though I feel a bit awkward not eating when everyone else is, I know that it is temporary. I've tried to make sure my family isn't affected negatively by this change in my life, and so far, I think it's been okay on them. I know this is a journey and these phases are temporary, but everyone is so understanding. I appreciate the support, it truly has made the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment