Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bizarre, Weird, Creepy, Genius?



I am talking about the new Nike ad featuring Tiger Woods and his late father, Earl. Some advertising folks have called it creepy. Others have called it genius. I think it is questionable, at best.

Usually, I think Nike is at the pinnacle of marketing and advertising. From their first "revolution" shoe ad in the late 80's, they have been the benchmark for branding and image advertising. They've given us "Bo knows." They've given us "Little Penny" (as in Hardaway.) They've given us targeted ads for women's running. For soccer. For football. For baseball. They have carved their way into advertising genius. That is, until now.

I think this spot is weird. I don't necessarily think it is creepy, but I think it is in poor taste. Granted, Nike has made the decision to stick with Tiger. And he has been a huge part of their marketing and advertising dollars since he signed with them when he turned pro. I've even been on the Nike campus and been to the Tiger Woods center. Putting my dislike for him aside, the center is actually pretty cool (just wish it wasn't all about him.) So I understand their decision to stand behind Tiger and keep him on. But I really think this ad misses the mark.

I know what they are trying to creatively execute. They want to show you that his dad would be disappointed in him and his actions of late (well, the last few years, but I digress.) They show Tiger standing there awkwardly, as if being scolded by his dad. It is Tiger's attempt to show remorse in a :30 spot. "I want to find out what your thinking was... what your feelings are? Did you learn anything?"

But here, in my opinion, is where it falls short.You see, his late father was no saint. In fact, it seems to be where Tiger learned his philandering ways. I mean, the man pushed his son from birth to be the best golfer in the world. Granted, he is a good golfer but one has to wonder, was it worth it? If his dad were alive today, would he be proud of the man his son has become? Of course as parents, you always love your children and are proud of them (to a degree) no matter what bad things they do, but would he stand up and say "my son's a fine citizen?" I don't think so.

On the flip side, Nike is certaily accomplishing it's "buzz" goal. And since I'm a PR person, I have to appreciate that. This ad is being posted on Facebook, You Tube, and has had countless media coverage-- from CNN, to CBS News, to USA Today. Regardless of the creative execution, Nike is succeeding with generating buzz for this spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment