Monday, April 19, 2010

Grammar Pet Peeves

Yep, I've got 'em. They make me cringe. And I know this is tacky, but they make me judge you. I know some folks forgot their grammar as soon as they graduated high school, but I can't help it.

I have compiled a list of common grammar mistakes and pet peeves. Some of these are very common and I make them myself (I'm constantly looking things up so I won't make mistakes.) I hope it solves the grammar problems of the world. My high school English teacher, Ms. Warren, would be very proud.

Loose for lose


Incorrect: I always loose my car keys.

Correct: I always lose my car keys.

It's for its (or God forbid, its'):

Incorrect: Download the document, along with it's readme file.

Correct: Download the document, along with its readme file.

Incorrect: The laptop is overheating and its making that funny noise again.

Correct: The laptop is overheating and it's making that funny noise again.



“it’s” is a contraction of it and is. Also, “it’s” is possessive.



They're for their or there

Incorrect: The VPs are in they're weekly planning meeting.

Correct: The VPs are in their weekly planning meeting.

Incorrect: The techs have to check there cell phones at the door, and their not happy about it.

Correct: The techs have to check their cell phones at the door, and they're not happy about it.



“they’re” is a contraction of they are. “their” is possessive.



i.e. for e.g.

Incorrect: Use an anti-spyware program (i.e., Ad-Aware).

Correct: Use an anti-spyware program (e.g., Ad-Aware).



Note: The term i.e. means "that is"; e.g. means "for example". And a comma follows both of them.



Effect for affect

Incorrect: The outage shouldn't effect any users during work hours.

Correct: The outage shouldn't affect any users during work hours.

Correct: The outage shouldn't have any effect on users.

Correct: We will effect several changes during the downtime.



You're for your

Incorrect: Remember to clean you're dishwasher on a regular basis.

Correct: Remember to clean your dishwasher on a regular basis.

Incorrect: Your right about the changes.

Correct: You're right about the changes.



“you’re” is a contraction for you are. “your” is possessive.



Lay for lie

Incorrect: I got dizzy and had to lay down.

Correct: I got dizzy and had to lie down.

Correct: Just lay those books over there.



A person lies down, buy lays objects down.



Then for than

Incorrect: The accounting department had more layoffs then we did.

Correct: The accounting department had more layoffs than we did.



Incorrect: If this is true, than I'm a fool.

Incorrect: I am more of a fool then you are.

Correct: If this is true, then I'm a fool.

Correct: I am more of a fool than you are.





Could of, would of for could have, would have

Incorrect: I could of installed that app by mistake.

Correct: I could have installed that app by mistake.

Incorrect: I would of sent you a meeting notice, but you were out of town.

Correct: I would have sent you a meeting notice, but you were out of town.



Writing `cannot' as two words

Incorrect: I can not decide.

Correct: I cannot decide.



Using `if' when you should use `whether'

Incorrect: I do not know if this is true.

Correct: I do not know whether this is true.

Correct: If this is true, then the moon is made of cheese.



Gender-neutral pronouns at the expense of grammar.

Incorrect: If someone did say that, then they were lying.

Correct: Anyone who did say that was lying.

Correct: All those who did say that were lying.



Dawn Ray Grammar Pet Peeves



When a sentence construction begins with if, you don't need a then. “Then” is implicit, so the sentence becomes too wordy.

Incorrect: If you can't get Windows to boot, then you'll need to call Ted.

Correct: If you can't get Windows to boot, you'll need to call Ted.



Using an unnecessary “that” in writing. For the most part, you don’t need “that.” Try reading your sentence and leaving out “that.” Chances are you won’t need the word.

Incorrect: It was evident that he had a drinking problem.

Correct: It was evident he had a drinking problem.



Using over instead of more than. Over is a spatial term. More than connotes quantity. (It is important to note that people say “over 500 hotels” in common everyday language, but it is grammatically incorrect.)

Incorrect: Hilton Garden Inn has over 500 hotels open.

Correct: Hilton Garden Inn has more than 500 hotels open.



Using “I” instead of “me.” Many people fall victim to this grammatical error, thinking they are choosing the appropriate word, but instead, choose the wrong word. When in doubt of which one to use, take out the first word before “and” and read the sentence again.

Incorrect: The only people waiting in line were Toni and I.

Correct: The only people waiting in line were Toni and me.

(if you follow my rule, you will see this is correct. The only person waiting in line was me (not I).



Incorrect: Roxane and me went to the store to buy cookies for Sandra’s birthday.

Correct: Roxane and I went to the store to buy cookies for Sandra’s birthday.

(if you follow my rule, you will see this is correct. It would read: I went to the store to buy cookies for Sandra’s birthday.)



Using wait on for wait for. The phrase wait on should be used only when referring to serving someone or something.

Incorrect: We waited on our guests to arrive.

Correct: The server waited on the customers in the restaurant.

Correct: We waited for our guests to arrive.



Who vs. That: that is a pronoun and is often mistakenly used in place of who. When the noun to which you are referring is a person, always use who. If, however, you are not referring to a person, then the appropriate pronoun to use is that.



Incorrect: The waitress that served me was very rude. (In this sentence, that is referring to a real person–the waitress–so who should have been used instead.)

Correct: The waitress who served me was very rude.

Correct: The car that is parked in the street belongs to me. (That is correctly used because a car is not a person. Who would, of course, have been incorrect if used in this sentence.)

No comments:

Post a Comment