Monday, April 5, 2010

Tender Moments….. From BOB HUGGINS?????

Yes, that’s right. Probably two phrases I never thought I would ever say in reference to each other. But if you watched the Men’s Final Four game on Saturday night between Duke and West Virginia, you know what I mean.

Of course, I am a bit biased. I have adopted WVU senior Da’Sean Butler as my favorite “non-Memphis Tiger” basketball player and he has certainly not disappointed. Butler is an exceptional student and a mature, smart basketball player. (God help me if he disappoints and ever gets into any serious troubles--say with hookers.) He is active in the community and has helped bring West Virginia to the national prominence it experienced in the 50s when Jerry West (“The logo”) played as a Mountaineer. Butler has scored 2,095 points becoming the 3rd highest scorer in WVU history. Even if you hate Huggins, you gotta love that.



So when he came down hard on a play involving Duke’s big man Brian Zoubek, buckling his knee with 8 minutes left in the game, my heart sank. He was writhing in pain. He was beating the floor with his hands. He was in tears. I am sure he was hurt, but I am betting he felt he had let his team down. WVU had the game within 5 points at one time, but Duke just outplayed them. Being the leader that he is, Butler likely felt defeated. He likely felt he had let his team down. So many times before, he had been Mr. Clutch, always there when his team and state depended on him. He likely knew it was over.



Then, it happened. After immediately yelling at the refs for the call, Coach Huggins makes his way to his player, the team leader, and displays one of the most touching and tender moments I have ever seen in sports. He kneels down over him, cradling his face, and talks to him like a father to a son. One can only imagine what he said, but he was trying to calm Butler down. Reassuring him, comforting him, being compassionate. He spoke nose to nose with Butler. It was a scene etched into my brain forever.





And all of this from Bob Huggins. A man with a shady past in college basketball, a very public DUI, a “resignation” from Cincinnati after the university’s president called for him to be fired. A coach who went for years with a 0.0 percent graduation rate (sound familiar Tiger fans? Remember the Dana Kirk days?) A man who recruited hard hitting thugs to his basketball program. A coach who yells obscenities at his players and doesn’t really display one gentle bone in his body.



I was shocked. I was in disbelief. I was touched. Coach Huggins and another WVU player helped Butler off the court. And you know the rest of the story. The Duke Blue Devils went on to beat the Mountaineers by 21 points, securing their place in the championship game with underdog Butler University.




It was announced yesterday Da’Sean Butler suffered an ACL injury, now with his NBA career somewhat questionable. But he will also be one of the best players to ever play the game in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment